Monday, January 20, 2014

Tuesday / Wednesday Storm (Monday Afternoon Update)

I am actually quite impressed with this storm, and we are still 18 hours from go time. Models have been very consistent with this storm, so confidence is pretty high with this one. One thing that has been showing up on the models once again today is the effects of the banding that will setup. To illustrate that, here are two models depicting banding. Now, where exactly they set up will be the mystery. I am also very confident they will setup across NJ. The first model here is the RGEM model (Canada) showing a band setting up across central areas of NJ (yellow stripe). 


The second is the NAM (American)  model. Now, this is a 1 hour shot of a potential band (yes, that's 3.5" per hour) in the speck in Monmouth / Ocean County. Other areas are still very significant 1 hour rates:


So, as you can see, we are dealing with a VERY potent system. Models have been depicting over and over again for about .5-.75" inches water over the area, so that would translate to a good snowfall of 6-10" With that, I am raising my expected accumulations to 6-10" as a base. I am also going to say, if you get stuck under a band, you will be looking at 8-12" of snow. I even think there could be some areas along coastal sections of NJ (Monmouth Ocean Counties) that could go over 12" of snow. With winds gusting as well in the 20mph range, blowing snow will be a concern. I also think there will be locations reporting thundersnow tomorrow evening into the night as the low pressure really bombs out in the Atlantic. 

I will also preface this by saying, when we have strong lifting creating bands of snow, there will be other areas that will have very light precipitation. So, I think there will be a sharp cutoff to areas in NW NJ and NE PA. I truly believe this will be a I-95 special from DC to Boston. 

As always, updates will be coming on facebook and twitter. I will post a blog posting after the nightime model runs as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment