Friday, October 28, 2011

Weekend Snow Potential

I was able to take a closer look tonight at the models, and first
impression was wow! This definitely has some potential. But, I am not
snow crazy for this one.

First, a Miller B type storm ( like this will be) Are tricky to
forecast and the gradient spread is a lot less than a full fledged
Miller a storm. The gradient is smaller, but those that get hit, can
get severe consequences. Think back to last year, the great
thundersleet/ snow event in NJ and the massive snow dumping in CT.
This is the potential these miller b storms can do, but usually much
tougher to forecast where this happens. We are depending on a storm to
transfer energy to the coast, deepen enough to create dynamics to
crash temperatures and turn rain to snow and then expect accumulations
on surfaces yet to fall below freezing since the beginning of the
year. Could it happen, yes, but I am not liking the chances.

Second... It's October. Sure, rain and some
Flakes at the end, I can buy this. Inches of snow... No. Like I said
earlier, this is a central Pa to NW NJ through New England event
(6-10" are possible in some of those areas). It's just to tough to get
accumulating snow down here in October.

Trust me, I am the biggest snow nut, but I am not enthused with this
potential for snow. Too many variables to overcome. I will definetly
give more updates as needed, but I am not on the snow train for this
one.

Any areas who do receive snow, there will be a number of power outages
and falling trees from the weight of the snow, and the wind generated
by the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment