Monday, January 31, 2011

PSA

While I don't believe our area will be hit "hard" by this storm, i will say this, the storm overall will be very impressive. There are already comparisons to the Superstorm of '93 in regards to the number of people and land area that will be affected. I heard today that Jim Cantore is in Chicago and he is expecting Lake Michigan to produce 20ft waves, with heavy snow and winds upwards of 50 mph. That's impressive. Upstate NY is expecting upwards of 24" of snow...that's impressive. The real danger of this storm though is going to be ice.

I am a snow lover, but I would rather have plain rain over ice any day. From Central PA to NE PA to NW NJ, Southern NY to CT there will be places that have over 1" of freezing rain. This will be devastating to those areas. If you have any friends or family in those areas, please make sure they are well prepared for whats to come. I had heard they are currently mobilizing power trucks from the SE US states to help out in hard hit areas. Early estimates are if you lose power, you wont have it for a week. The other scary party, with all the ice that falls and accumulates, the temperatures are going to plummet after this storm, so its not going to go anywhere. Please make sure friends and family members know where shelters are available if needed. I cannot stress enough how destructive and devastating this could be. Trees will come down, roads will be impassable and power will be lost, plain and simple. Expect the worst, plan for the best.

Areas just north of our area need to also be on the look out in case some of the other variables I talked about in my last post come to fruition. They could very well be looking at the devastating ice as well.

This will be a very dangerous storm and for this, I am glad we are on the outside looking in. Updates as needed, and i will also post any events of interest regarding the storm from outside out area.

*** I also apologize if some of my posts have bad spellings, bad grammar or anything else that doesnt read well. I find myself most times trying to type from my phone, and anyone who types on a smart phone knows how bad it can be.

*** Also, you are able to subscribe to my blog on my weather page. This will, I believe, send you an email everytime I update. This way, you dont have to worry about missing a post on Facebook or Twitter

http://townersweatherpage.blogspot.com

Thank you to all my followers and the kind words many have posted!

Corey Towner
townersweatherpage.blogspot.com
twitter.com/coreytowner

No comments:

Post a Comment